- Posted by:
An opportunity exists for a 12 month period with the Mackay Hospital and Health Service.
The Senior Health Information Officer is responsible for the professional oversight of the data quality functions and to assist with the co-ordination of medical records and clinical information systems in accordance with Queensland Health strategic directions for the MHHS.
• Provide high level and detailed review, analysis, advice and recommendations on data quality issues and data collection and documentation within ieMR and other health information systems, to enhance data integrity within MHHS and report such to senior and middle management.
• Identify, develop and implement continuous improvement strategy to ensure quality standards are maintained and actively contribute to quality accreditation, planning and improvement of the documentation within the ieMR environment.
• Coordinate the collection and reporting of performance data pursuant to deadlines.
• Manage and direct the work of the Data Quality HIM, providing professional guidance and expertise, and participating in the Professional Performance and Development (PPD) process for all staff under Health Information Management professional supervision.
• Assist in the provision of clinical classification audits to ensure compliance with the Australian Coding Standards, correct ICD-10-AM allocation and accurate DRG assignment.
• Assist in the management of data requests relating to patient information (including Privacy Impact Assessments and PHA Applications) and liaise closely with the Research Governance Office and the Ethics approval process.
• Oversee and execute the operational and strategic requirements of clinical record and clinical data management.
• Oversee and support compliance in conjunction with Health Information Services and Legal services to ensure ethical, legal, regulatory and best practice standards are met relevant to ieMR and associated clinical record systems.
• Ensure an environment of innovation by maintaining a broad knowledge of current and developing health information management trends, including electronic clinical records management and eHealth.
• Develop, implement and maintain innovative continuous quality improvement in the area of data collection and business processes, re-engineering in line with policy and health agreements including the establishment of benchmarking key performance indicators for patient information management systems.
• Develop and maintain effective networks, consult and negotiate with internal and external clients, other government agencies and professional staff and the development of policies, briefs, business cases and submissions under minimal direction.
• Represent the MHHS at relevant forums and liaise with stakeholders regarding enterprise facility wide electronic health information system management requirements e.g. application support, data extracts and reporting, rectification of system problems, upgrades or system enhancement and computer training needs.
• Provide authoritative and consultative advice, support and opinion for other relevant Health Information Management issues and activities as they arise in the MHHS, including departmental and facility-wide impacts, and risks resulting from enterprise systems.
• Manage own continuous learning in knowledge of clinical coding, ABF, HIM and performance monitoring including new developments, legislation and industry standards.
• Exercise judgement when necessary to solve problems in situations where precedents have not been set and provide options and solutions.