- Posted by:
We are seeking an experienced senior Clinical Coder/HIM to join our Health Information Services team at Western Private Hospital in Footscray.
Western Private Hospital (WPH), servicing the West of Melbourne, has 68 inpatient beds after undergoing a multi-million dollar redevelopment and expansion to improve the availability of acute services in the region in the last few years. As a result WPH now provides a broad mix of specialties including orthopaedics, vascular, plastics, urology, gynaecology, colorectal, cardiac, oncology and general surgery for both medical and surgical patients.
About the Role
In this critical role you will support the Manager of Health Information Services to ensure data is collected, collated and managed in line with hospital and relevant legislative requirements. You will be required to provide accurate and timely coding of diagnosis and procedures using current coding standards.
You will be processing confidential data, which is used for billing, morbidity collections, research, statistical analysis, management information systems, quality activities and case mix management including Diagnosis Related Groups (DRG) allocation.
We pride ourselves on a strong culture of continuous improvement, and in this role it will be important for you to support and participate in improvement programs relating to staff development, accreditation, compliance and department processes.
To be successful in this role, you will have private hospital experience and you will be able to work effectively both within a team environment and independently as required. Your ability to maintain positive relationships and strong communication networks with all stakeholders and departments, ensuring all quality outcomes are achieved, is crucial for this role.
- Clinical Coding qualifications from Health Information Management Association of Australia (HIMAA) or equivalent, or Bachelor of Applied Science (Health Information Management)
- Minimum 4 years of coding experience in advanced surgical hospital
- Sound and updated knowledge of ICD-10-AM 11th edition and Australian Coding Standards
- Sound and updated knowledge of Medical Science and Medical Terminology
- Knowledge and understanding of DRG and Casemix
- Knowledge and understanding of current Privacy legislation
- Ability to liaise with clinicians and hospital staff about coding and documentation requirements
- Excellent communication, attention to detail, prioritisation and time management skills
- Knowledge of private sector funding models is desirable
- Previous experience using WebPAS is desirable
Benefits of Working at WPH include:
- Great people and friendly work environment with supportive management
- Close proximity to public transport
- Access to a range of health & well-being initiatives, staff discounts and benefits
CLOSING DATE: 12th February 2021 (or earlier if position is filled)
We are looking to start ASAP and will be interviewing suitable candidates as they apply.
For further enquiries about this role contact: Elizabeth Lawson, HIS Manager, by email: email@example.com or phone: 03 9319 3164 (Monday to Thursday)
Please submit your application, including cover letter, your resume and at least 2 current referees, for the above position via: firstname.lastname@example.org
For more information about WPH please visit our website at www.westernprivatehospital.com.au
All offers of employment are subject to those who have a satisfactory National Police Check, Working with Children Card and evidence of Australian Citizenship or full working rights in Australia.
It is a condition of employment in this role for the employee to be vaccinated against the following vaccine preventable diseases during their employment: measles, mumps, rubella, varicella (chicken pox), pertussis (whooping cough) and hepatitis B.
We will not accept unsolicited CVs from recruitment agencies/third parties and we will not be liable or responsible for any fees or costs associated with unsolicited CVs sent directly to line managers.
WPH is an equal opportunity employer and committed to ensuring a safe environment for children and young people. We encourage individuals of diverse backgrounds including but not limited to those from the Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander, Culturally and Linguistically Diverse and GLBTIQ community to apply.