- Posted by:
Austin Health is the major provider of tertiary health services, health professional education and research across 3 campuses in the northeast of Melbourne and state-wide. Austin Health is world-renowned for its research and specialist work in cancer, liver transplantation, spinal cord injuries, neurology, endocrinology, mental health and rehabilitation.
An exciting opportunity currently exists for an enthusiastic and experienced Health Information Manager/Clinical Coder to join the well-established Casemix Unit.
The Austin Health Casemix Unit is focused on expanding its current relationships with clinical staff throughout the organisation and as part of this role there will be the opportunity to provide education to clinical staff and liaise with unit contacts as part of our thorough and streamlined audit program.
Lead by our Senior Educators you will also take part in the Austin Health Coding Education Program, which will allow experienced coders to build on their existing skills and knowledge base and which will give you the support and direction that will allow you to take this role and shape it to suit your strengths.
By joining the Austin Health Casemix Unit, you will gain familiarity and knowledge of some of the most complex medical cases and surgical procedures that happen in Victoria, and indeed in Australia. We recognise all our coders for their specialised skill set and expert knowledge and many of them often take part in quality assurance and data analysis projects with other units within the Performance, Reporting and Decision Support directorate.
Our Senior HIM team and Management team will provide you with all the support you need to make your transition seamless, and our close-knit coding team will ensure that you feel like you are one of the team in no time.
We are looking for a HIM/Clinical coder who has had at least two years of experience within an acute hospital in Victoria who is keen to take their coding, auditing and education skills and grow them with us.
Flexible working arrangements including flexible work hours and the ability to work from home are available.
As a Health Information Manager/Clinical Coder at Austin Health your responsibilities will include:
- Carrying out high quality morbidity classification of discharged patients using ICD-10-AM
- Optimising the quality of the coding by participating in and taking responsibility for continuous quality improvement strategies and audits
- Participating in the comprehensive and ongoing education program that is developed and implemented for Health Information Manager/Clinical Coders
- Maintenance of current knowledge of developments in all aspects of health information management
- Bachelor of Health Sciences (Medical Classification)/Bachelor of Health Information Management or other equivalent qualification and eligibility for full membership to the Health Information Management Association of Australia
- Experience and proficiency with coding medical records in ICD-10-AM 11th edition
- Ability to determine priorities and organise workload effectively and efficiently
- Well-developed interpersonal skills and the ability to work well as a member of a large team
- Possession of the following personal qualities: motivation, flexibility, initiative, reliability and professionalism
- A minimum of two years of experience coding in a hospital environment
- Knowledge / Experience with Infomedix Scanned Medical Record and Cerner systems
Work with us! Your reward is to work in a collaborative environment which will provide you with opportunities for ongoing training and development. Your benefits will include salary packaging, and employee assistance program.
All appointments are made subject to a satisfactory National Police Check conducted by Austin Health and if required, a Working With Children Check.
Austin Health is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to attracting and retaining a diverse workforce that reflects the community we serve. Applications from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islanders are encouraged.