- Posted by:
Werribee Mercy Hospital is undergoing an ambitious expansion of clinical services to service the second largest growing region in Australia. A clinical services and masterplan is being developed which should see greater levels of subspecialisation and the ability to manage more patients within our hospital.
The Hospital is conveniently located half way between Victoria’s 2 largest cities with travel time of approximately 30 minutes to Melbourne or Geelong CBD.
The Department of General Medicine is the largest inpatient unit at Werribee Mercy Hospital and currently receives all acute medical admissions. Our teams comprise 4 medical teams aligned with general medical physicians across 7 days of the week with most of the physicians also having their own subspecialty.
A medical hospital in the home team and additional medical and surgical subspecialties are being established such which will enable General Medicine to be integrated across aspects of the patient journey.
We have strong links and junior medical rotations with St Vincent’s Western Health and University Hospital Geelong. The Department has plans to expand clinical training to support developing our own physician training program and will be appointing a dedicated Director of Physician Education. We have a strong and diverse team of nursing and allied health staff and integration with our subacute, GEM and Palliative care teams.
We are a friendly, dynamic, professional team dedicated to providing care to the community.
As the inaugural Director of General Medicine, you will have a unique opportunity to make your mark and build on our vision of delivering exceptional patient experience, clinical care and service delivery. You will make an impact by:
- Providing strong leadership and clinical governance of the department
- Cultivating an environment that nurtures mentoring, learning and development of clinical staff through education and research
- Developing strong collaboration with other clinical teams, external partners and the health executive to provide a seamless patient centred model of care
- Being able to work independently and continually strive to improve patient care and experience
This is a permanent position with a minimum of 0.7 FTE and the opportunity to negotiate additional FTE with the inclusion of other portfolios.
There will be dedicated medical administrative support
The successful candidate will be required to have an appropriate clinical load commensurate with the Head of Unit.
There are opportunities to arrange a suitable honorary academic position with the co-located University of Notre Dame Medical School.
- Appointees must be legally qualified practitioners, registered or registrable with AHPRA without conditions, undertakings or reprimands.
- Fellowship of the Royal Australasian College of Physicians (RACP) with Specialist recognition in General Medicine, Acute Geriatrics or relevant adult subspecialty
- Demonstrated strong leadership and communication skills
- Demonstrated experience as a senior clinical leader with operational experience
- Ability to provide strategic focus and direction and foster a culture of quality and service improvement
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively in a multidisciplinary team