- Posted by:
- An exciting opportunity for a motivated and experienced Health Information Manager looking to further their career
- Reporting to the Coding and Casemix Manager, you will be part of a team of 5 Coding Auditor/Educators and a Senior Coding Auditor/Educator responsible for coding training in Melbourne Health inpatient casemix, auditing, coding and provision of coding and casemix education to the wider Melbourne Health workforce
- If you want to work in a great team environment, enjoy adding value, have a real commitment to process improvement and want an attractive salary with salary packaging benefits then please visit our website www.mh.org.au to download the position description and apply online
The Royal Melbourne Hospital
As one of the largest health services in Victoria, and a team of more than 10,000 strong, we provide a comprehensive range of specialist medical, surgical, and mental health services; as well as rehabilitation, aged care, outpatient and community programs. We are a designated state-wide provider for services including trauma, and we lead centres of excellence for tertiary services in several key specialties including neurosciences, nephrology, oncology, cardiology and virtual health.
Surrounded by a Parkville Precinct of brilliant thinkers, we collaborate to set new benchmarks in health excellence – benchmarks that impact across the globe. While the work we do takes us in inspiring new directions; caring for each other, our patients and consumers is as essential to who we are, as any scientific breakthrough we make. We put people first - leading with kindness and working together, we excel as one Royal Melbourne Hospital.
Your new team
- We are a team working together to accurately code inpatient episodes, by applying ICD-10-AM classification guidelines, in accordance with Australian and Victorian Coding Standards
- We enjoy a collaborative working environment by maximising productivity with an even distribution of encounters among all members in our team. The outcome is to consolidate and maintain our coding knowledge of all RMH specialties
- You will help us achieve consistency of the application of coding advice whilst training and auditing our coding teams encounters
- In return, you will be supported by four experienced Coding Auditor Educators, the Senior Coding Auditor Educator, the Deputy Coding Manager and the Coding and Casemix Manager
Your success in this role, will be in your ability to
- Mentor and assist in training, education and auditing of both new coding staff and existing staff
- Apply expert knowledge of software tools, abstraction of clinical information, coding and DRG classification and standards, legislative and DHHS requirements, statutory reporting and casemix principles to:
- Identify and conduct targeted Coding and Casemix audits of inpatient episodes
- Provide education to the Coding Team and others within the organisation
- Train new members of the Coding and Casemix Team in Melbourne Health documentation and casemix on a Unit by Unit basis, signing off on each Unit once the trainee has reached expected standards (usually a 12 month programme) including orientation programme
- ICD-10-AM and ACHI Coding and Grouping using 3M Codefinder software
- Classification and software monitoring and recommendations for changes
- Ensure the 3M Codefinder software notes are maintained and reflect current classification advice
- Bachelor of Health Information Management or equivalent
- Teaching/training qualifications and/or experience
- A minimum of 3 years post graduate experience in a clinical coding position in a tertiary hospital
- Previous staff recruitment and management experience
- Business planning experience and ability to set and meet strategic goals
- Previous staff training and education experience
- Leadership qualities and project experience
- Demonstrated experience of accurate coding of complex inpatient episodes using ICD-10-AM and ACHI
- Expert knowledge of Australian and Victorian Coding Standards and the ICD-10-AM and ACHI classification
- Thorough understanding of the Victorian Admitted Episodes Dataset and the Policy and Funding Guidelines - Victorian Public Hospitals, Victorian Criteria for Reporting, DRG grouper logic
- Outstanding classification and casemix funding knowledge, and the ability to communicate this knowledge to others, both verbally and in written form is required.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Excellent computing skills including Microsoft Office suite
- Previous experience with IPM and the 3M Codefinder software
Our Commitment to you
Here at The RMH we strive for excellence with a strong purpose that defines the work we do for our community – Advancing health for everyone, every day. This is the Melbourne Way.
We believe our success comes from our people. We’re committed to the RMH being a great place to work and a great place to receive care. We have made a long-term commitment to strengthen our organisational culture through leadership, education and empowering our staff to Speak Up for themselves and each other.
This is a role where your passion and expertise can come together to create a truly defining career opportunity. It is a unique opportunity to help us transform the future of the RMH and ultimately ensure we continue to deliver world class healthcare.
The RMH is proud to be a workplace that champions diversity, inclusion and equality for our staff and our community. Our goal is for our people to feel safe, included and supported so that they can be at their best every single day. We encourage talented people from all backgrounds, abilities and identities to apply to our vacancies, and will consider adjustments to support such applications.
For a confidential discussion please connect via the details below.
All appointments are made subject to a satisfactory Criminal History Record Check and a Working with Children Check. Successful applicants will be required to provide evidence of an immunisation assessment prior to commencement.