- Posted by:
- Assist the Coding and Casemix team in managing and completing internal and external projects
- Review medical records to facilitate and obtain appropriate clinician documentation for any clinical conditions or procedures
- Part Time - Fixed Term position working 42 hours per fortnight until Jan 2021, comprising 26 hours fixed term and 16 hours ongoing
The Royal Melbourne Hospital
As one of the largest health services in Victoria, and a team of more than 10,000 strong, we provide a comprehensive range of specialist medical, surgical, and mental health services; as well as rehabilitation, aged care, outpatient and community programs. We are a designated state-wide provider for services including trauma, and we lead centres of excellence for tertiary services in several key specialties including neurosciences, nephrology, oncology, cardiology and virtual health.
Surrounded by a Parkville Precinct of brilliant thinkers, we collaborate to set new benchmarks in health excellence – benchmarks that impact across the globe. While the work we do takes us in inspiring new directions; caring for each other, our patients and consumers is as essential to who we are, as any scientific breakthrough we make. We put people first - leading with kindness and working together, we excel as one Royal Melbourne Hospital.
Your new team
- We are a team working together to accurately code inpatient episodes, by applying ICD-10-AM classification guidelines, in accordance with Australian and Victorian Coding Standards
- We enjoy a collaborative working environment by maximising productivity with an even distribution of encounters among all members in our team. The outcome is to consolidate and maintain our coding knowledge of all RMH specialties
- You will help us achieve clinical documentation improvements and a reduction of the amount of documentation queries currently sent to clinicians
- In return, you will be supported by four experienced Coding Auditor Educators, the Senior Coding Auditor Educator, the Deputy Coding Manager and the Coding and Casemix Manager
Your success in this role, will be in your ability to
- Liaise with Melbourne Health staff regarding internal projects and assist with data collection and interpretation of coding and casemix data.
- Respond and provide ICD-AM diagnosis codes, ACHI codes and casemix information/data to requestors; both internal and external.
- Assist external departments by providing analysis of casemix coded data to use in business cases
- As part of the Clinical Documentation Improvement (CDI) Program, complete a medical record review of patient’s medical records to evaluate documentation and assist to assign the principal diagnosis, additional diagnoses and procedures for accurate DRG assignment by liaising with the treating clinical team
- To facilitate the appropriate review of clinical documentation at the point of care which reflects both care delivery and resource utilisation to support the appropriate reimbursement of services.
- A minimum of 3 years post graduate experience in a clinical coding position, preferably at tertiary level
- Eligible for membership of the Health Information Association of Australia (HIMAA)
- Ability to set and meet strategic goals
- Demonstrated experience of accurate coding of complex inpatient episodes using ICD-10-AM and ACHI
- Expert knowledge of Australian and Victorian Coding Standards and the ICD-10-AM and ACHI classification
- Thorough understanding of the Victorian Admitted Episodes Dataset and the Policy and Funding Guidelines - Victorian Public Hospitals, Victorian Criteria for Reporting, DRG grouper logic
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Excellent computing skills including Microsoft Office suite
Our Commitment to you
Here at The RMH we strive for excellence with a strong purpose that defines the work we do for our community – Advancing health for everyone, every day. This is the Melbourne Way.
We believe our success comes from our people. We’re committed to the RMH being a great place to work and a great place to receive care. We have made a long-term commitment to strengthen our organisational culture through leadership, education and empowering our staff to Speak Up for themselves and each other.
This is a role where your passion and expertise can come together to create a truly defining career opportunity. It is a unique opportunity to help us transform the future of the RMH and ultimately ensure we continue to deliver world class healthcare.
The RMH stands in solidarity with Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people in work and care. We are proud to be a workplace that champions diversity, inclusion and equality for our staff and our community. Our goal is for our people to feel safe, included and supported so that they can be at their best every single day. We encourage talented people from all backgrounds, abilities and identities to apply to our vacancies, and will consider adjustments to support such applications.
For a confidential discussion please connect via the details below.
All appointments are made subject to a satisfactory Criminal History Record Check and a Working with Children Check. Successful applicants will be required to provide evidence of an immunisation assessment prior to commencement.